Students – Don’t Underestimate Their Potential


The Frizelle Group was first established in 1985 and is one of the largest motor dealers in Queensland with over 830 staff across eight locations. The group runs a substantial apprentice program with around 40 of those apprentices employed each year.

Over the past 5 years the organisation has moved to an apprenticeship model that prefers applicants to have completed year 12, ideally with aptitude in STEM subjects - particularly mathematics.

Did you know?

• Most of Frizelles apprentices who complete their course attain full employment within the group; approximately 65% of graduating apprentices continue their employment with the business, with the other 35% starting their own business or joining competitor dealerships.

• As well as trade apprentices, Frizelles also engage students from various disciplines including sales, marketing, graphic design, IT and HR.

• The business has a culture of promoting from within where possible with a number of interns going on to more substantial roles within the group.

University connections

Frizelles have ongoing relationships with the Gold Coast’s tertiary institutions, placing students within the group’s support departments for internships. A former Bond University Marketing intern is now employed in the business and at present a Griffith University Human Resources student is undertaking a 10 week practical assignment with the group.

The benefits of creating a student talent pool

Regardless of whether the students are from secondary or tertiary institutions, Frizelle’s Talent Acquisition Coordinator Lauren Barber says that the opportunities benefit both the business and the student.

“You need to be able to evaluate the student’s knowledge, skills and engagement before appointing them. Then you can have them assist with projects which would otherwise not be prioritised.”

Fail to prepare or prepare to fail

Frizelle’s Recruitment Administrator Sarah Turner says it’s vital that you know exactly what you want the students to take away from the opportunity.

“Have a clear plan and objectives. Don’t give them ‘grunt’ work as they are here to learn. Ensure you check in daily with how they are coping and whether there are certain tasks or activities they would like to contribute to. Don’t underestimate their potential.”

Wayne Linkermann2

Talent for Business Growth

A program to help Gold Coast businesses access student talent

Find out more

Want to find out more about Australia's favourite classroom?