The Mayor's Technology and Innovation Awards
The 2022 Mayor’s Technology and Innovation Awards has wrapped up for another year. Congratulations to all the finalists and winners of the awards.
Thanks to our collaborators, the City of Gold Coast, Cohort Innovation Space, and Bond University, without whom the Awards would not have been possible.
We're already looking forward to next year's event.
If you're interested in finding out more about the Awards please contact [email protected]
Phase 1 – Form your concept
In your team of two or three, work together to come up with an innovative idea or technology that supports the City of Gold Coast’s City Vision through three themes:
- The best PLACE to live, visit and stay
- PROSPERITY built on a strong diverse economy
- PEOPLE contribute to a strong community spirit
As a first step, watch our Ideation Information Session, which gives an overview of the awards and provides you with the tools to form your killer idea for your entry. Once you’ve watched the video be sure to review the selection and criteria in the School Handbook as a guide to forming your idea.
Your idea could be a new idea for health, conservation, transport, agriculture, cyber security, construction, energy, recreation or something else.
Think Global, Act Local. The possibilities are endless!
Phase 2 - Enter the Awards
Entries are now closed for the 2022 Mayor's Technology and Innovation Awards
There is no limit to the number of teams a school can enter, however each team must comprise of either two or three students in years 8-12.
To enter, simply:
- Respond to the four selection criteria on the entry form, outline your innovative idea and the technology it uses to solve a community problem.
- Assign your School Coordinator who will be the contact for all correspondence relating to their school’s participation in the awards.
- Upload your signed Parent/Guardian Consent Form for each student entering the competition.
- Entries open: Tuesday, 12 July 2022, 9 am
- Entries close: Monday, 1 August 2022, 9 am
Phase 3 – Finalist selections
An expert panel of judges will score each entry against the judging criteria and the ten teams with the highest scores will be announced as finalists.
The ten finalists will move onto the mentoring phase of the awards, where they will further develop their idea or concept and be mentored by some of the best entrepreneurial and technical minds of the Gold Coast.
Phase 4 – Mentoring workshops
In the mentoring phase of the awards the ten finalists will take part in three mentoring sessions:
- An intensive one-day finalist bootcamp at Cohort Innovation Space
- An online mentoring session for each individual team
- An online pitch practice and feedback session for each individual team
Bootcamp: Thursday, 18 August 2022
Location: Cohort Innovation Space, Southport
Online check-in and pitch practice sessions booked betweeen 22 August – 2 September 2022
Phase 5 – Pitch and Awards night
The Final Pitch and Awards Night is each team's opportunity to present their idea to a broader audience and convince the judging panel that their idea is the best!
Ahead of their 5-minute pitch, each team will be given a dedicated display area to showcase their idea to the judging panel and audience. Once each team has pitched their idea, judges will be given the opportunity to ask questions before tallying final scores. Finally, the winning teams will be announced:
- First Place
- Second Place
- Third Place
- People's Choice Award
Full details on Pitch and Awards Night, including judging criteria can be found in the School Handbook.
Date: Wednesday 14 September 2022
Location: Bond University