Student Transport

G Link light rail City of Gold Coast2


This includes the tram (G:link), buses and the train (Queensland Rail). The tram is a popular option between Griffith University and the major commercial hubs of Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach.

To use the public transport system you can get a Go Card, which is an electronic ticket to travel seamlessly on all bus, train (including Airtrain), ferry and tram services in South East Queensland. It’s simple to use; all you need to do is top up your card, touch on at the start of your journey and touch off at the end of your journey. The Go Card also comes with many benefits:

  • Your fare is automatically calculated and deducted from your card balance;
  • It’s cheaper than the cost of a paper ticket and offers discounts and concessions for full-time secondary and tertiary students;
  • You can register your go card online to view your travel history, top up your card and protect your travel credit if it’s lost or stolen.

You can find out more information on this public transport network on or by calling 13 12 30.


Riding a pushbike is a popular transport option for students on the Gold Coast as it is cheap, easy and a great way to enjoy the outdoors.

Before you start, make sure you have a reliable bike, a helmet that is approved and fits securely, and bike lights for riding at night. Both an approved helmet and night-lights are compulsory. You should also have an idea of the best route to take and know the road rules that you must follow.

It is a good idea to have a lock so that you can secure your bike when you are not using it. The Gold Coast’s public transport authority is installing safe, convenient and secure bike facilities at selected bus and train stations across the Gold Coast’s public transport network.


If you decide to drive, make sure you know and understand the road rules, have a valid license/permit (which you keep on you whilst driving), and are driving a registered vehicle.

Your overseas license or permit may allow you to drive in Queensland. It is best to confirm this with the Department of Transport and Mains Roads Queensland before you start driving.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads Queensland will help you with a license and registration for your vehicle. For more information you can visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads Queensland