Job Demand: Medium
Average weekly wage:
Where you could work:
May work in Retail, the Arts and Recreation Services; Theme Parks, Wildlife Parks, Public Administration & Safety, Defence, Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing.
Animal Attendants / Trainers do the following tasks:
- Teach animals to obey verbal and non-verbal commands and address behavioural problems.
- Train animals to accept riders and pull vehicles; perform in competitions.
- Groom animals including; bathing, cutting, combing, blow-drying and styling pets' coats, clipping their nails and cleaning their ears.
- Inspect, prepare, clean, disinfect and maintain comfortable animal cages and enclosures.
- Transport food, fill water troughs and feed animals according to their individual needs.
- Maintain animal health records, treat minor injuries and report serious conditions to Veterinarians.
- Exerciese and play with animals, answer visitor questions, and transfer animals between enclosures by leading or carrying them.
- Dust and spray insecticides on animals and immersing them in insecticide baths, to control insect pests.