If you've decided to study in Australia, there are various student visas that you could apply for. The class of visa will depend on the type of study you choose, and sometimes the length of the course.

Some study options you could apply for include:

  • Primary and Secondary School
  • English (ELICOS)
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET)
  • Higher Education
  • Postgraduate Research
  • Non-award

Australian student visa holders are normally eligible to work up to 20 hours per week during a semester, and full time during semester holidays. If you have a scholarship, check the conditions to make sure you are allowed to work.

If you have finished your studies and wish to work in Australia, you could apply for a post-graduate visa.

For more detailed information about study and work visas you can visit:


The Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection accepts all applications lodged, regardless of who lodges them. This means you do not necessarily need to use a Migration Agent. You are able to lodge any kind of visa application or asylum claim yourself and most applications can be lodged online.

However, a Migration Agent can be very useful if you do not feel confident in lodging an application yourself, or if your case is complex.

A Migration Agent cannot influence the outcome of your visa, make the processing of your application any quicker, or guarantee you a visa. They are simply there to help with things like managing the paperwork and understanding the visa application process.



Even if you hire a registered Migration Agent, it is your responsibility to make sure you supply accurate information throughout the visa application process. If you make any false claims or provide any false documents, your visa may be cancelled.


In Australia, Migration Agents must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). If you choose to use a Migration Agent, you should make sure you are using a registered Migration Agent. It will ensure you are working with someone who is aware of current laws and procedures and will give you the correct advice.


The office of the MARA website has a list of all agents with a valid registration. Go to “Find an Agent” where you can search by Personal Details (Family Name, Given Name, or Business Name) or Location Details (Postcode, Suburb or Country).

The Office of the MARA website also provides information on:

  • How to choose a Migration Agent
  • How much it costs to use an Agent
  • What to expect from an Agent
  • Making a complaint about an Agent
  • What the Office of the MARA can and cannot do for you
  • Sanctioned Agents
  • Lapsed Agents

The MARA website can be found here

For more information on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, please click here