Helpful Advice


Many international students look for casual or part-time jobs to help with their expenses whilst studying in Australia. 

There are many questions that students frequently have, such as: 

  • How much should I get paid?
  • What does this type of contract mean?
  • Am I a different type of employee because I am a student?
  • How many hours am I able to work?

The Fair Work Ombudsman is a government division that can provide you with the answers to theses questions and many more. They know your rights and obligations in your workplace and can be of assistance if anything goes wrong or you have any uncertainties.

To contact The Fair Work Ombudsman or find out more information about what they do you can visit -


If you plan to work in Australia you will need an Australian Tax File Number (TFN).  

A tax file number (TFN) is your personal reference number in the tax and super systems. A TFN is yours for life, which means you will keep the same TFN even if you change your name, change jobs, move interstate or go overseas.

You can apply for a TFN if you have a visa with work rights or an overseas student visa. The application can be lodged online, which means you can apply before arriving in Australia. However, if you’re not sure about how to apply or the details you need to fill in, you can ask your agent or education institution for advice once you are in Australia.

You are not required to have a TFN in order to work, but if you don’t have one, it's likely that you will end up paying more in taxes. Having a TFN will also entitle you to claim a tax refund on your total income.

For relevant information on Tax File Numbers and tax in Australia you can visit