Work Restrictions For Student Visa Holders
As of July 2023 student visa holders in Australia can work a maximum of 48 hours a fortnight while studying. Student visa holders have no work restrictions when their course of study or training is not in session.
These restrictions allow students to focus on obtaining high quality education and training qualifications while also allowing students to gain valuable work experience and contributing to Australia’s workforce needs.
Student visa work conditions were relaxed throughout the pandemic, and completely removed in January 2022. This allowed student visa holders to work over their normal limit of 40 hours per fortnight to address workforce shortages. This ended on 30 June 2023.
The Australian Government has announced that student visa holders already working in the aged care sector on 9 May 2023 can continue to work unrestricted hours in any type of work in the aged care sector until 31 December 2023. This exemption only applies to students working with an approved aged care provider. Any work outside of that sector is limited to 48 hours a fortnight, while a student’s course is in session.
If you are an international student seeking more information on visas and working regulations visit the Department of Home Affairs website.
FULL TIME INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
If you are a full-time international student studying in Australia for more than three months, you will automatically receive permission to work included with your Australian student visa.
According to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, you cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia.
Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.
FINDING EMPLOYMENT - JOB SEARCH WEBSITES
- Gold Coast Student Jobs - www.goldcoaststudentjobs.com.au
- Seek – www.seek.com.au
- Indeed – www.indeed.com.au
- One shift – www.oneshift.com.au
- Neuvoo – www.neuvoo.com.au
- Hire-up – www.hireup.com.au (Support workers)
- Adzuna – www.adzuna.com.au
- CareerOne – www.careerone.com.au
- Gumtree - www.gumtree.com.au/jobs
- Jobactive – www.jobsearch.gov.au/
- Smart jobs – www.smartjobs.qld.gov.au
- Jobs Hub - www.dese.gov.au/covid-19/jobs-hub
The following sectors have vacancies which may require little to no reskilling:
- Cleaning and sanitation of buildings, public spaces and transport
- Food services and catering
- IT systems
- Health care and carer/community support roles
- Outreach for people who are isolated or who need supplies delivered to their homes
- Manufacturing roles including food manufacturing
- Logistics including warehousing, security services and driving roles
- Customer service and call centre roles
- Waste management
- Environmental management
- Outdoor work including regional infrastructure damaged by bushfires (e.g. walking trails)
- Agricultural, including fruit harvesting
Click here to see the current vacancies. (Jobs Hub)
Resume – 1-2 pages in length with the below information included:
- Name and Contact details
- Summary of Employment Skills and/or Competencies
- Current Employment details with Dates
- Previous Employment details with Dates
- Current and past Education
Internships give you the opportunity to enter the workforce and gain some powerful practical experience whilst earning your qualification at the same time.
Graduates who have had exposure to the workforce and real industry sectors during their studies are better prepared to enter the workforce through enhanced skills and experience.
These opportunities are usually unpaid but may be linked to your course of study for academic credit.
Visit our Open Opportunities page to view current positions available in local businesses.
Up to four years of post-study work rights
There's never been a better time to study on the Gold Coast!
Now offering up to four years of post-study work rights, the Gold Coast is an emerging global city with world-class education and training facilities, extensive student support programs and employability initiatives to generate greater career opportunities.
Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) benefits:
- Up to 4 years of post-study work rights
- Access to additional regional visas
- Priority processing of visa applications
- Bonus points towards skilled migration to Australia